skip navigation

PC Rally Falls Short in OT

By T Hufford, 01/04/20, 4:30PM EST


PC Rallies from 3 down to force Overtime

PC Rally Falls Short in OT

The Mustangs opened the new year versus East Kentwood High School in Grand Rapids.

After a scoreless first period, the Mustangs got on the board first when Mitchell Haines tied up the Falcon defender in the corner and Jaden Sorenson scooped up the loose puck and took it to the net, sliding it just around the pad of the goaltender.

East Kentwood capitalized on a pair of Mustang miscues to score 2 goals within the next 2 minutes and take a 2-1 lead at the end of the second period.

The third period was pretty chaotic as there were 7 powerplays between the two teams with a major penalty being called against each side. This led to many odd-man and 4 on 4 situations.

East Kentwood scored the first two goals in the third period, one on the powerplay, and pushed their lead to 4-1. 

The Mustang comeback started with Filip Hendl digging the puck out from behind the Falcon net, passing it over to Hunter Maschke who snapped a backdoor pass to Will Anderson who buried a top shelf snipe over the goalie's glove.

Portage Central kept up the pressure and scored again when Beckett Saline's pass sent Hunter Maschke in on a successful breakaway and made the score 3-4 with 9:33 left in the third.

Less that a minute later, the Mustangs broke out of their zone with quick passes from Will Anderson to Ryan Jaros to Luke Sproule. Sproule skated in and fired the puck shortside past the goalie to tie the game at 4.

East Kentwood scored on a 5 on 3 powerplay to regain the lead with 6:38 left. Portage Central kept clawing back and eventually Jaden Sorenson tied the game again with 3:46 left. His shot from the point slipped through traffic and evaded the Falcon goaltender. The 3rd period ended with the score tied at 5. 

The game went to an 8 minute sudden death overtime. The Mustangs pushed hard and had 4 shots on goal in overtime, but were not able to capitalize on their chances. East Kentwood scored the game winner on a laser shot from the blue line that evaded Hufford and just slipped into the top left corner of the goal.

The Mustangs finished with 51 shots on goal, while Zach Hufford faced 29 shots for the Mustangs.